Whole 30 Coconut Shrimp
I love shrimp, and this Whole 30 Coconut Shrimp is just another reason why! When you are doing Whole 30, a lot of people will be like, “What CAN you eat? Don’t you miss flavor?” But there are lots of flavorful, delicious meals allowed on Whole 30! Many of them so good, you’re non-Whole 30 friends will enjoy, and you’ll probably continue to eat when you finish the program. This Whole 30 Coconut Shrimp is one of those recipes, I started making it during my first Whole 30 round years ago, and I still keep it in our routine of go-to meals. You will almost always find frozen shrimp in my freezer. It can be a lifesaver for nights when you need a simple recipe that comes together super quickly, just like this one. This recipe is also low carb/ friendly!
Today is going to be a good day! That is my new mantra to start each morning. Yesterday I spoke about how I was beginning to feel like I was in movie Groundhogs Day! Well, last night, I decided that I didn’t want every day to feel like that, so after my morning Yoga, I am going to start with the mantra or affirmation, whatever you want to call it, “Today will be a good day.” Then each night, remind myself of one unique good thing from that day! What sort of positive changes are you trying to incorporate as we all navigate this insanity that our lives have become? Let me know below. I love hearing from all of you 🙂
You’re Gunna Be CocoNuts For This Recipe
Juicy shrimp, drenched in coconut, and crisped to perfection? What’s not to love?! As I said above, you will ALWAYS find shrimp in my freezer, especially if I am on a round of Whole 30 or eating Paleo because it’s so versatile and comes together so quickly. In fact, this recipe probably comes together quicker than you can order takeout.
Because we use unsweetened coconut this recipe is also Keto. When I’m Whole 30, I love to dip it in the sauce below. However, if you’re Keto, you might prefer a lower carb option like Siracha or a low sugar sweet or spicy chili dip! This is a great dish to serve at party or as an appetizer. You don’t even need to tell people it’s Whole 30/Paleo. They will have no idea. Sometimes when I host a party, I like to make a variety of food, and I’ll eat the Paleo/Whole 30 ones only. I’ll let other people enjoy everything, and then you don’t need to answer a million questions about your food choices and why you eat how you do. You should never feel like you need to explain your actions to anybody, but some times that’s easier said than done! I’ve found this little trick is great!
Tips, Recs, Subs
- If you are new to Gluten Free/Whole 30 cooking, you should definitely get familiar with Tapioca Flour. It’s an excellent grain and gluten-free substitute, and it’s what we use to coat the shrimp before we egg it instead of traditional flour.
- Coconut- Make sure you get unsweetened shredded coconut. The food manufacturers always so sneaky trying to add sugar to everything. We’re on to them!
- Dipping sauce – I combined 1/4 cup coconut cream (the top of the coconut milk when you leave it in the fridge) with two tablespoons of pineapple juice and a 1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger. So good!
- Air Fryer – Firstly, if you don’t have an air fryer, I can’t recommend it enough. If you don’t have one, you can also bake these, 425 for 10 minutes flip half way through and cook another 6 minutes. But if you are interested in finally taking the leap. I have this Ninja Foodie one. It’s the best! It’s dishwasher safe, which makes clean up a breeze. I cook everything in it from bacon to Gluten Free Buffalo Chicken Tenders. I even made donut holes and brownies in it once 🙂
Whole 30 Coconut Shrimp
- Air Fryer
- Coconut oil spray to coat air fryer, can use olive oil or other spray oil.
- 1 Lb Shrimp (deveined and tail off, if using frozen thaw first)
- 3 Tablespoons Tapioca Startch or Flour
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 Cup Unsweetened Shredded Coconut
Coconut Pineapple Dipping Sauce (optional – not low carb)
- 1/4 Cup Coconut Cream (place coconut milk can in fridge, take the condensed cream off the top)
- 3 Tablespoon Pineapple juice (no added sweetener)
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Ginger
- Preheat air fryer (See notes below for oven instructions) to 390 for 5 minutes. While that is happening add shrimp to bowl with Tapioca Starch and salt and pepper, toss until well coated.
- Mix egg in a separate bowl, add coconut to a separate plate. Take a shrimp and coat in egg, then transfer to plate with coconut. Flip over to make sure it is well coated with coconut, set aside. Repeat with all shrimp.
- Spray air fryer with coconut oil. Add shrimp to Air Fryer, cook at 390 for 8 minutes. Half way through give the basket a shake to move the shrimp around. Finish cooking.
- Plate and serve with desired sauce. Enjoy.
Coconut Pineapple Dipping Sauce (optional)
- Add all ingredients to small mixing well, stir well to combine, Return to fridge for a few minutes. Enjoy!
- If cooking in oven, preheat to 425, cook for 10 minutes, flip and cook another 6 minutes.
Enjoyed Whole 30 Coconut Shrimp?
If you enjoyed Whole 30 Coconut Shrimp please share, leave a like or comment below and follow me on social media. Instagram, and Pinterest, and Facebook. Where I usually post a new recipe a day! Here are some other posts you might enjoy.
- Whole 30 Chicken Piccata
- Perfect Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes
- Crispiest Air Fryer Potatoes
- Whole 30 Veggie Loaded Taco Meat