Have you tried this new Whipped Coffee phenomenon? If you haven’t you are in for quite the treat! I’ve seen it EVERYWHERE! So I knew I needed to give it a try, and boy am I glad I did. Whipped coffee, made with just three ingredients, is my new favorite way to drink coffee. Period. This version uses coconut sugar, and almond milk, so it’s Paleo compliant, and lower glycemic index. You can swap in a different sweetener to make it Keto compliant as well! Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I did!
Whip It, Whip It Real Good …
This coffee has been dubbed “whipped coffee” here in the states, but it originated in Korea and is referred to as ‘Dalgona,’ honestly, I think I like that name better. Firstly we need to discuss what makes it so good. It’s got this light and airy texture that makes it feel way more indulgent (and pretty) than a typical coffee. It’s blown up so much there are even articles about why it’s become so popular during isolation. When I first drank it, I was like, “wow, I feel like I’m back at my coffee shop, drinking a fancy drink.” I think that’s precisely why it’s blowing up right now. It’s the fanciness of your favorite drink, made from home with only pantry staple ingredients. What’s better than that?
During this coronavirus pandemic, I’ve been giving little quick updates of how Dave and I are holding up and getting through. As crazy as it sounds, this recipe helped me out big time today. I have been missing getting coffee from the coffee shop, and drinking this whipped coffee made me feel some sense normalcy. Honestly, at this point, any sense of normalcy is a welcome thought. We also got invited to our first-ever virtual birthday for two of our friends next weekend! How fun is that? Three weeks ago, I would have thought a bunch of friends in their respective homes, drinking alone on video chat to celebrate a friends birthday would be ludicrous. Yet here we are, and now it’s my idea of a fun Saturday night 🙂 Hope you are all staying safe, and staying well. My biggest hope is you drink this coffee and you too can feel normal again, even if only for a short while.
Tips, Recs, & Subs
- A lot of recipes use a 1:1 ratio for the three ingredients, of 2 tablespoons of each. However I felt like that was a little much caffeine for me. So I only did one tablespoon of the instant coffee, which was MORE than enough, but feel free to double it if you want more.
- Sugar- I used coconut sugar, which is low glycemic and paleo compliant. However, you can use regular sugar or any granulated sugar. Even the Keto complaint sweetener alternatives will work. If you don’t use any sugar, it will work, but it won’t fluff up as lovely, and it will lose it’s volume very quickly.
- Milk- I used almond milk, and it was delicious. However, you can use Oat Milk (check out my recipe here) traditional milk, half and half, whatever your heart desires.
- Hot or Cold? You want it cold serve over milk with ice, want to drink it hot? Serve over warm milk and stir in!
- Tips for Mixing! I used my Kitchenaid stand mixer, with the whisk attachment. Firstly, use the large bowl, if you use the shallow bowl, I can tell you from experience it will go EVERYWHERE! Mix on low for a minute or two first, once it starts to thicken up, then switch to high for the last few minutes.
- Hand mixer – A hand mixer is a great alternative is a second great option if you don’t have a stand mixer. Apparently people also use their actual hands and a whisk to make it. A recipe like this requires a lot of whipping, therefore doing so by hand can take upwards of 20 minutes. If you are swimming on time during the quarantine, all the power to you, whip away 🙂 However, I wouldn’t recommend it.
- Toppings. If you follow this blog, you know I’m all about that topping life! I added a dash of cinnamon, but you can add mocha, or caramel too!
Whipped Coffee Aka Dragola
- Electric Hand Mixer or Stand Mixer
- 1 Tablespoon Instant Coffee or espresso
- 2 Tablespoons Coconut sugar Can sub any granulated sugar but might not be Paleo
- 2 Tablespoons Boiling Water
- 1/2 Cup Almond Milk Can sub milk of your choice
- Add instant coffee, coconut sugar and boiling water to mixing bowl or stand mixer bowl with whisk attachment.
- Start beating with mixer on low speed for about a minute until it begins to thicken. Once it starts to get a slightly thicker texture, increase speed to high. Whip up for another 4 or 5 minutes. Should be fluffy and volumious and able to stand on its own.
- Pour over milk of choice. If you want to enjoy cold pour over iced milk, if you want to enjoy hot, heat milk first and stir in.