Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
The ultimate Taco Tuesday Dish, Taco Meat Stuffed Sweet Potatoes! If you guys follow me at all you know I love adding veggies to everything! (Even zucchini in my flourless zucchini brownies recipe) As long as you use compliant meat, this recipe will be Whole 30 & paleo. Also be careful of the toppings, no dairy, but avocado and extra salsa and green onion are fine. So why would Tacos be any different? Using a sweet potato instead of a taco shell can save you calories, keep you full, and add a ton of fiber to your meal. Not mention they taste delicious 🙂 I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did 🙂
I started these little updates a few weeks ago when everything went bananas from the Coronavirus Pandemic. It’s been over six weeks that we’ve been in lockdown now. Such a weird time here in NYC! Part of me feels like wow I can’t believe it’s been the six weeks already, the other part of me is like six weeks? It feels like a lifetime since I’ve enjoyed laughing with friends over brunch cocktails, or going to a nail salon. You guys have NO idea how much I miss the nail salon. I NEVER have unmanicured nails, and can’t do them on my own. So having to take all these food photos, and look at my nails not being done is torture for me. I know there are much worse problems going on, but it still sucks!
It’s Raining Tacos….
Have you guys heard that song yet? I heard it at a kids birthday party last year, and it quickly moved up the list to my all-time greatest hits. I love Tacos. Who doesn’t? Firstly you have unlimited flavor combos, so great. Secondly, you have all the toppings, for me the toppings are what really makes the taco! I love a carne asada, chicken taco, and I’ll do backflips for a perfectly cooked fish or shrimp taco. Because, a good fish taco is something sacred in my book.
But sometimes there is something really special about just a classic ground beef taco. I have fond memories about taco night growing up, my mom would but the beef on the table and have all the toppings, it was like a make your own buffet. Hands down my favorite dinner growing up, every single time! The beauty of this recipe, you can use any taco meat you want! You can stuff these with any leftover taco meat you have :)If you need a recipe for simple and easy taco meat, check my Veggie Loaded Instapot Taco recipe or my Easiest Ground Turkey Taco Meat, recipe. Both of these recipes will keep this Whole 30 and Paleo Complaint. But you can also add any of the delicious taco meats I suggest above!
Tips, Recs, Subs
- Taco Meat – As I stated above, you can use any taco meat you want in this recipe from pork carnitas, to shrimp. Although, I prefer beef or ground turkey tacos in this recipe and have two great recipes here. Veggie Loaded Taco Meat and Easy Ground Turkey Taco Meat.
- Sweet Potatoes – In my opinion, the best way to cook the sweet potatoes is in the Instant Pot. They come out perfectly cooked and fluffy on the inside every time. Take a look at my Perfect Instapot Sweet Potatoes recipe. If you don’t have an instanpot, the one I have and use at least 2-3x a week if not more is linked below! Can’t recommend this kitchen appliance enough 🙂 However, you can boil or roast them if you don’t have an instapot.
You can have all the ingredients delivered to you directly from Whole Foods with FREE DELIVERY in 2 hours or less, through Amazon Prime. Use this link for a free 30-day trial. If you are low income and receive EBT or other government benefits, you may qualify for a reduced rate of $5.99/month.
Save To Pinterest For Later
Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 1 lb Ground Turkey or Beef See tips recs/swaps for Veggie Loaded Taco Meat if you prefer or use your own taco meat recipe. Can use shrimp tacos filling, pork, carne asada.
- 1/2 Jar of Salsa
- 2 Teaspoons Cumin
- 2 Teaspoons Paprika
- 2 Teaspoons Garlic Powder
- 2 Teaspoons Onion Powder
- 4 Sweet Potatoes Cooked See tips, recs, subs for cooking options
- Optional Toppings – Green onion, cilantro, sour cream, cheese, extra salsa, avocado Cheese & sour cream will not be Paleo/Whole 30 Compliant
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil (Only if using turkey meat, can leave out if using beef)
Taco Meat Recipe
- Heat non stick skillet with 1 tablespoon oil on med-high heat. Add beef or turkey to the pan, cook until brown, stirring every minute or so. Should take about 5-7 minutes.
- Add spices and salsa, continue to cook another few minutes until it has salsa has cooked down reached a thick consistency, about 5 minutes.
Taco Meat Stuffed Sweet Potaotes
- Slice cooked sweet potato in half lengthwise, add taco meat to middle and top with desired toppings! Enjoy 🙂
Enjoyed Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes Recipe?
If you enjoyed this Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes Recipe, please give it a share, like or comment below. Follow me on social media Pinterest, Instagram, and Facebook. Here are some other recipes you might enjoy.
- Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Quiche with Sweet Potato Crust
- Garlic Parmesan Carrot Fries
- Gluten-Free Zucchini Pie