About This Spaghetti Squash and Meatballs Recipe
If you are looking for a quick weeknight dinner that comes together in 10 minutes then this spaghetti squash and meatballs recipe is for you! I will usually pre cook the spaghetti squash on Sunday during my weekly meal prep, then keep it in the fridge until I’m ready to use it. The other tremendous time saver for this recipe is using precooked meatballs. After coming home from work after a long day, all you need to do is heat the sauce on the stove with the meatballs in the sauce. Because they are precooked, they only need to be warmed up. Easy peasy! Heat up your precooked spaghetti squash, pour sauce on top and voila! 10 minute dinner for the win!
- Spaghetti Squash– This is a lovely spaghetti substitute. It’s obviously lower in carbs, and calories then the real stuff, but you might be surprised by just how much! A typical cup of pasta can contain anywhere from 155-190 calories, and 40G of carbs! If you are trying to do low carb, or low cal that is ALOT for a single cup of food! Spaghetti squash has only about 30 Calories per cup, and 7G of carbs! That is a HUGE savings, not to mention all the fiber will keep you full and satiated! Healthline, has more info on all the nutrition of spaghetti squash.
- Sauce – Any sauce will do here. Sometimes I’ll be lucky enough to have leftover homemade sauce in the freezer, other times I’ll just grab a jar at the store and dump it on. But use whatever works for you.
- Meatballs – You can’t have Spaghetti Squash and Meatballs without the meatballs!! To save time I use precooked meatballs and just heat them up when I’m heating my sauce. Again, sometimes I’m lucky enough to have homemade ones from meal prep, other weeks I’ll just buy them precooked while at the store.
Tips and Recommendations
- Precook the spaghetti squash! This is the first step in keeping this meal quick and easy. Cooking spaghetti squash is simple, just cut it in half, add a little olive oil, salt and pepper and roast in the oven for about 35-40 minutes at 400 degrees. When it’s done, let it cool and just scrape out the insides with a fork. It will come out naturally like thin strands of spaghetti.
- Use precooked meatballs! These can be meatballs that you make during meal prep or buy precooked ones. My go-to brand is Aidells. So simple all you have to do is heat it up and you can do this while you heat the sauce.
- Add toppings. Fresh herbs, like basil or parsley, will really elevate this dish. Red pepper flakes can give this dish a little bit of heat. If not eating Whole 30/Paleo/Dairy free add some cheese on top.
Spaghetti Squash & Meatballs
- 6 cups Spaghetti Squash Precooked to save time
- 2-3 cups Tomato Sauce
- 10-12 Meatballs Precooked to save time
- Fresh Basil and Parsley for garnish Optional
- In a small to medium pan add sauce and meatballs, cook over medium to high heat until meatballs are fully warmed, about 10 minutes.
- While sauce is heating, reheat spaghetti squash. When spaghetti squash is heated, pour sauce and meatballs on top. Top with fresh herbs, and cheese (if not dairy free/whole 30/paleo). Enjoy 🙂
Enjoyed This Recipe?
- Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
- Gluten Free Buffalo Chicken Tenders
- Instapot Chicken Chowder
- Buffalo Chicken Salad