Why Self Care Matters More Than Ever!
In times like this we all need to be reminded, why self care isn’t selfish. It’s absolutely crazy right now, feels like we’re living in some sort of sci-fi movie. If you are reading this blog sometime in the future, right now we are in the midst of the Coronavirus Pandemic. Apparently it is just the start which is quite honestly, completely terrifying. A few days ago NYC, the city that never sleeps, has gone into complete lockdown. All 8 million of us are being forced to stay home, no work, no gyms, no social life. Just stay put and wait. We can leave only to go to the grocery store or pharmacy, and exercise, as long as it’s alone. Scary times! This is why more than ever we need to practice self-care, keeping in mind we are not being selfish for doing so.
What is Self Care?
Self care is any activity that we do deliberately in order to take care of our mental, emotional, and physical health. Simply put, it is finding what makes one feel replenished or whole and allowing oneself the time and space to do said thing. It is absolutely crucial not only to living a full happy life, but to keep us healthy and sane in times of crisis or despair. The simple act of doing something to nourish ourselves, can be what gets us to through these scary times.
How Can This Not Be a Selfish Act?
When you think about focusing on yourself, it is hard to not think of it as a self centered activity, especially when your partner needs you, kids need you, parents, family, friends. All these people are relying on YOU and you are going to take 30 or more minutes solely for yourself? Here is the key, you are doing it FOR THEM. Think of the very old saying, we’ve all heard a hundred times, “if you can’t take care of yourself, you can’t take care of anybody else.” It’s the same reason that EVERYONE in the world right now is scrambling to make sure our healthcare providers have the proper PPE’s. If the healthcare providers don’t take care of themselves, how can they treat patients? They can’t! No one is calling them selfish for ensuring they have masks, gowns, etc. You do the same, you need to take care of you!
What Are The Key Components Of Self Care?
- It must be deliberate! Self care won’t work if it’s something that just happens. Make sure you set aside some time to schedule it in.
- Said act must make you feel like you are caring for yourself in some form, physically, mentally or emotionally. If it’s good for you but you hate it, it’s not self care.
- Stick to the basics. Don’t go crazy in the beginning, keep it nice and simple. As with all things, it takes practice. Don’t beat yourself up or try and take on too much.
What Are Some Examples?
Again this list is entirely up to you! I can tell you that going for a run 30 minutes 30x a week is one of the best ways to practice self-care, which it is, unless you hate running! Then running would not be a great self-care activity. So take this with a grain of salt and now this is simply a list to get yourself started. Feel free to add your own, forget things that don’t seem interesting to you, and then get started!
- Exercise. Whatever you like best. Need some resources? Check out my 15 Free exercise from home resource here.
- Meditate. Gaiam blog has Meditation 101 for beginners.
- Take a bath! Here are 10 scientific reasons why!
- Write your thoughts in a journal.
- Stay in touch with loved ones, even if during this time that means staying in touch via facetime, google hangouts, or zoom!