Pineapple Shredded Chicken
This Pineapple Shredded Chicken will make you feel like you’re on a tropical island. Ok, that might be a bit much. BUT it does taste pretty delicious. It’s Whole 30 & Paleo compliant, and like all the recipes on my site, it’s gluten-free. Since it cooks in just 10 minutes in the instant pot, this recipe is perfect for busy weeknights. Serve over a bowl of cauliflower rice and turn this chicken into a complete and balanced bowl!
Yesterday they announced that here in NY, we would be under lock down for at least another month. I am starting to go seriously, stir crazy! Anyone else? Leave a comment below with your best tips for how you’re coping. I love to hear from you guys! Dave and I have been going for late night walks with our dog, Gia, because our neighborhood is still pretty crowded during the day and afternoon. Today we added morning walks to the mix. Then I came home and did my morning yoga routine. I’m not a morning person at all, so I didn’t enjoy getting up half an hour earlier, but I will admit it was an excellent way to start the day. Hope everyone is staying safe and for f**ks social distance, so we can all leave our apartments sooner rather than later.
Winner Winner Chicken Dinner
I don’t know if I used this headline for another chicken dinner, but if I did, this one is most likely the real winner 🙂 I love that the instapot cooks chicken in 10 minutes! Tender, juicy, pull apart chicken in 10 minutes? Does it get better any better than that?! I’ve had THREE friends tell me that they added the instapot to their bridal registries just because of how much I hype it up. First off I hope they are not disappointed, although I’m sure they won’t be. Second off, I need to find a way to get sponsored by instapot, so if you or someone you know works there, let them know I can’t keep my mouth shut about them. But I digress. The second thing I love about Pineapple Shredded Chicken dish is that it comes together with just a few ingredients, and there are lots of substitutions. See the options below!
Tips, Recs, Subs
- Instapot – if you don’t have an instantpot, you can cook this in the slow cooker. Keep everything the same and instead of 10 minutes, cook on high for four hours.
- Chicken – If you are cooking in the instantpot, you can use frozen chicken, all you need to do is add two minutes to cook time.
- Coconut aminos – if you are new to Paleo/Whole 30 cooking, coconut aminos is essentially a gluten/soy/MSG-free soy sauce. If you are only gluten-free not Paleo/Whole 30 Tamari is a fine substitute. If you have no dietary restrictions, then feel free to add soy sauce.
- Ginger- I always try and use fresh ingredients when possible. However, I didn’t have any fresh ginger, so I used 1/2 teaspoon grated ginger, but you can add fresh if you have it. Likewise, if you don’t have fresh garlic, just sub in garlic powder.
- Pineapple Juice – Make sure you get the pineapple that is in 100% juice! Super important!
- How to serve? This chicken is great on its own with a side dish, or I like to serve it over cauliflower rice and turn it into a bowl. The less clean up, the better, so for me, a one-bowl meal with no additional cooking is always best! Just pop a bag of frozen cauliflower rice in the microwave and voila, 15-minute dinner!
Watch Me Cook It
Before you watch, you should keep in mind it is a quarantine and real clothing rules don’t apply! Sorry for the video quality. It will better next time I promise 🙂
Don’t An Instantpot?
If you don’t have an instant pot but want to make this and so many other delicious recipes, this is the one that I have that I can’t recommend enough. I use it at least 3x a week. No joke, it will change your kitchen game!
Pineapple Shredded Chicken
- Instant Pot or Slow Cooker
- 2 Chicken Breast
- 1/4 Cups Coconut Aminos (can use tamari for GF only, or soy sauce if not following any dietary restrictions) See Tips, Subs, Recs above for more details
- 1 Glove Garlic Minced
- 1 Teaspoon Fresh or Ground Ginger
- 8 Oz Can of pineapple slices Must be in 100%. Separate Pinapple rings from juice, keep the juice to use in the recipe
- 1 Handful fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 Bag frozen cauliflower rice (Optional)
- Separate pineapple rings from juice, set aside. In a mixing bowl combine pineapple juice, coconut aminos, garlic, ginger, and 1/2 cilantro, whisk together. Set aside.
- Salt and pepper chicken breast. Place the chicken in the instant pot or slow cooker* (see notes below) Pour pineapple juice mixture over chicken and place pineapple rings on top of chicken. Seal instanpot, make sure sealing valve on top of instantpot is set to "Sealing" mode. Turn instanpot on manual mode for 10 minutes.
- When instanpot is done, let pressure manually release for 5-10 minutes before turning sealing mode to "venting." Remove the pineapple rings, set aside. Shred chicken. Serve on it's own or over cauliflower rice. Top with pineapple rings, left over cilantro and extra juice.