Instant Pot Pineapple Shredded Chicken
This Pineapple Shredded Chicken will make you feel like you’re on a tropical island. Ok, that might be a bit much, but we’ve all been locked up in our homes for almost 6 months so maybe. And it does taste pretty delicious. It’s Whole 30 & Paleo compliant, and like all the recipes on my site, it’s gluten-free. Since it cooks in just 10 minutes in the instant pot, this recipe is perfect for busy weeknights. Serve over a bowl of cauliflower rice and turn this chicken into a complete and balanced bowl!
Winner Winner One Pot Chicken Dinner
I don’t know if I used this headline for another chicken dinner, but if I did, this one is most likely the real winner 🙂 I love that the instapot cooks chicken in 10 minutes! Tender, juicy, pull apart chicken in 10 minutes? Does it get better any better than that?! I’ve had THREE friends tell me that they added the instapot to their bridal registries just because of how much I hype it up. First off I hope they are not disappointed, although I’m sure they won’t be. Second off, I need to find a way to get sponsored by instapot, so if you or someone you know works there, let them know I can’t keep my mouth shut about them. But I digress. The second thing I love about Pineapple Shredded Chicken dish is that it comes together with just a few ingredients, and there are lots of substitutions. See the options below!
Don’t forget to check out some of my other favorite chicken dinners that can be cooked in the instant pot like Lemon Garlic Chicken Thighs (which are keto friendly too). I also have Paleo Honey Ginger Chicken, and Lemon Artichoke Chicken. And one of my all time favorite chicken dishes, Buffalo Chicken Spaghetti Squash Casserole, which I meal prep the chicken and spaghetti squash in you guessed it… the instant pot 🙂
What Makes This Dish Paleo and Whole 30 Friendly?
I usually take a minute to explain what makes each recipe on this site fall into the dietary categories so my readers a better idea of what each diet is about. Both Whole 30 and Paleo diets focus on eating whole foods that are minimally processed, avoiding any inflammatory ingredients, like gluten, grains, dairy, and legumes. This dish has very few ingredients, and all of them fall into the category of Paleo/Whole 30 approved. However, you do want to make sure you use a high quality, trusted brand of Chicken.
Coconut aminos are a gluten free and soy free version of soy sauce, which is an amazing substitute for Paleo/Whole 30 Meals and honestly I doubt you can taste the difference between regular soy sauce. Make sure you use pineapple that is 100% juice, you want to make sure there is no sugar added, that would keep it from being compliant. Also always check your frozen veggies, make sure that the only ingredient listed is the vegetable itself. One more than one occasion Dave has tossed Cauliflower rice into the cart only for me to realize it’s “cheesy cauliflower rice,” maybe he’s doing it subconsciously lol.
What Ingredients Do You Need?
- Chicken Breast – (You can even use frozen just see the Tips, Recs, Subs section below)
- Coconut Aminos – Which is a soy and gluten free soy sauce alternative. (can use tamari for GF only, or soy sauce if not following any dietary restrictions)
- Garlic Minced
- Fresh or Ground Ginger
- Pineapple slices – Fresh or canned. Just make sure it is in 100% juice no sugar added. Separate Pineapple rings from juice, keep the juice to use in the recipe
- Fresh Cilantro
- Fresh or frozen cauliflower rice (Optional)
How To Make It
- Mix coconut aminios, ginger, garlic, pineapple juice and cilantro together in a bowl. Place chicken in instant pot, our mixture over chicken.
- Add pineapple slices on top, set for 10 minutes.
- Shred the chicken and serve over rice.
Helpful Equipment and Ingredients (Directly From Amazon)
What Are Some Good Sides?
The sides you can serve with chicken are never ending! Below are a few of my favorites
- A simple side salad. Almost every night with dinner we have a very simple of spring mix, salt pepper and a dressing of apple cider vinegar and olive oil. Simple, easy, low calories and helps keep you full.
- Carrot Fries – Paleo & Whole 30 Friendly
- Frozen Cauliflower Rice
- Simple Sesame Roasted Asparagus – Paleo & whole 30 friendly
Tips, Recs, Subs
- Make sure you salt and pepper your chicken, WELL. Don’t under season this dish, and don’t underestimate the power of a good amount of salt and pepper.
- You can use fresh garlic or chopped garlic.
- Instant pot – if you don’t have an instantpot, you can cook this in the slow cooker. Keep everything the same and instead of 10 minutes, cook on high for four hours. You CANNOT use frozen chicken in the slow cooker.
- Chicken – If you are cooking in the instantpot, you can use frozen chicken, all you need to do is add two minutes to cook time.
- Coconut aminos – Click to order my go-to brand. If you are new to Paleo/Whole 30 cooking, coconut aminos is essentially a gluten/soy/MSG-free soy sauce. If you are only gluten-free not Paleo/Whole 30 Tamari is a fine substitute. If you have no dietary restrictions, then feel free to add soy sauce.
- Ginger- I always try and use fresh ingredients when possible. However, I didn’t have any fresh ginger, so I used 1/2 teaspoon grated ginger, but you can add fresh if you have it.
- Pineapple Juice – Make sure you get the pineapple that is in 100% juice! Super important!
- How to serve? This chicken is great on its own with a side dish, or I like to serve it over cauliflower rice and turn it into a bowl. The less clean up, the better, so for me, a one-bowl meal with no additional cooking is always best! Just pop a bag of frozen cauliflower rice in the microwave and voila, 15-minute dinner!
- When finished, let the Instant Pot naturally release pressure for at least 5 minutes, then open the quick release valve.
- See my section above for side dishes to serve.
Save Instant Pot Pineapple Shredded Chicken to Pinterest For Later
Other Paleo Chicken Recipes You'll Enjoy
Pineapple Shredded Chicken
- Instant Pot or Slow Cooker
- 2 Chicken Breast
- 1/4 Cups Coconut Aminos (can use tamari for GF only, or soy sauce if not following any dietary restrictions) See Tips, Subs, Recs above for more details
- 1 Glove Garlic Minced
- 1 Teaspoon Fresh or Ground Ginger
- 8 Oz Can of pineapple slices Must be in 100%. Separate Pineapple rings from juice, keep the juice to use in the recipe
- 1 Handful fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 Bag frozen cauliflower rice (Optional)
- Separate pineapple rings from juice, set aside. In a mixing bowl combine pineapple juice, coconut aminos, garlic, ginger, and 1/2 cilantro, whisk together. Set aside.
- Salt and pepper chicken breast. Place the chicken in the instant pot or slow cooker* (see notes below) Pour pineapple juice mixture over chicken and place pineapple rings on top of chicken. Seal instanpot, make sure sealing valve on top of instantpot is set to "Sealing" mode. Turn instanpot on manual mode for 10 minutes.
- When instant pot is done, let pressure manually release for 5-10 minutes before turning sealing mode to "venting." Remove the pineapple rings, set aside. Shred chicken. Serve on its own or over cauliflower rice. Top with pineapple rings, leftover cilantro and extra juice.
Hungry For More?
Share or Save for Later.
Subscribe For Recipes and More
Let’s Connect 🙂