Paleo Skirt Steak Tacos
Today we celebrate with Paleo Skirt Steak Tacos! What exactly are we celebrating? It’s Cinco De Mayo AND Taco Tuesday!! How exciting is that. I decided just last week that I needed to do a food reset for myself, and decided I’d be strict Paleo for two weeks. At first I was bummed I’d have to miss the Cinco De Mayo food. Fear not my friends, I was able to celebrate all I wanted with these grain-free, corn-free tasty tacos 🙂
It seems like forever ago that I started writing this little updates about what was going in while we were in lockdown, and now almost two months later, and still no idea when it is going to end. Sure, they are saying on May 15th they will start to loosen some restrictions in parts of the state, but NYC will probably be the last to resume to normal. One of my friends just found out her entire office will be working from home until January. The rest of the year! That’s insane. I just want to know when things will go back how to they used to be. Will it ever go back to how it was? Who knows, I guess time will tell.
In other news, I am proud to say that I’ve been super consistent with my workouts! Tomorrow is day 26 of my 30-day yoga challenge. When I finish, I think I’m going to restart from the beginning. There has been something oddly relaxing and energizing at the same time about starting my day with yoga. It’s a quick 15-minute yoga practice that’s different each day. Then I do a beach body on demand class. Yesterday I started the 21-day fix. These are definitely two positive changes that I plan to keep long after the lockdown is over. Starting my morning with Yoga, Cardio, and some goal writing before I do anything else 🙂 How about you? What are some positive changes you’ve picked up during quarantine? Let me know in the comments below.
Toppings, Toppings & Toppings
Like any good taco, these Paleo Skirt Steak Toppings are only as good as their toppings. First off we have a super easy but delicious marinade for the steak, it’s not a topping but definitely adds to the flavor profile. Next, we add fresh avocado, and it gives these tacos the creaminess you might miss without the dairy. Then we top with a bright and fresh mango salsa! Lastly, we add a squeeze of fresh lime, the acid from the lime juice turns this taco into one harmonious bite!
Grain-Free Vs. Gluten Free
Gluten free tacos are an easy swap, you take a flour tortilla and use a corn one. But Paleo and Whole 30 are Gluten and GRAIN free. Because you aren’t allowed the grains, there is no rice, quinoa or corn allowed. So how do you make a grain free tortilla? I haven’t had any time to play around making homemade tortillas lately, so I opted for the store bought versions. I used Siete Foods cassava flour tortiallas. Let me know tell you they were surprisingly tasty. I think I may prefer them to corn or flour tortillas. They also make a cashew flour and almond flour tortilla. Both are grain free and low carb!
So what is in a grain-free tortilla? I used siete brand, and I LOVE Them. Not a sponsored post, just a brand I really trust and enjoy when I’m doing Paleo or Whole 30. Most of their products are cassava flour based. While you might have heard of cassava flour, you probably have used Tapioca flour or root. They are slightly different, but come from the same plant. When the Cassava root is ground down through a process of washing and pulping you are left with a starchy liquid. Once that water evaporates, you have tapioca flour. When you grind down the entire cassava root, you get cassava flour.
Cassava flour is becoming increasingly popular in gluten-free cooking for several reasons. For a lot of gluten or grain-free cooking you need to substitute more flours to get the same consistency. Cassava flour already has a similar texture to a wheat-based flour. Also, it’s not only gluten-free, but it’s grain-free and nut-free, which can be challenging to find. It might just be the new holy grail when it comes to grain-free cooking!
Tips, Recs, Subs
- I used skirt steak because it was what was available at the store, but you can use whatever cut of meat you prefer.
- Marinade – This is a simple marinade of garlic, lime, and cilantro. This dish is very heavy on the lime and cilantro, but it’s such a good combo, I say the more, the better 🙂 But you can feel free to use a little less.
- Mango Salsa – If you want a bit of heat, add some jalapeno! I’ve also made this before with a splash of apple cider vinegar to add a little more acid.
- In the section above, I go into detail about the difference in grain-free vs. gluten-free tortillas. If you are not grain-free, you can use corn tortillas or any tortillas you prefer. My absolute favorite is Siete tortillas. They have Cassava flour tortillas which are grain free. Plus Almond flour and Cashew Flour tortillas that are grain free and low carb!
- Avocado – I added fresh sliced avocado, but you can also mash it, turn it into guacamole, or mix with a dairy-free yogurt and make a crema.
- Lime- There is lime in the salsa in the marinade, and yes, I also added fresh-squeezed lime on top. You might want to try it first and see if you want that extra lime.
You can have all the ingredients delivered to you directly from Whole Foods with FREE DELIVERY in 2 hours or less, through Amazon Prime. Make sure you use this link for a free 30-day trial. If you are low income and receive EBT or other government benefits, you may qualify for a reduced rate of $5.99/month.
Save Paleo Skirt Steak Tacos to Pinterest for Later
Paleo Skirt Steak Tacos
- Cast Iron or Skillet
- 1 Tablespoon Olive oil
- 1-1.5 Lb Skirt Steak or cut of your choice
- 1 Lime juiced
- 1 Clove garlic diced fine
- 1 small handful cilantro roughly chopped
- 1/4 Cup Broth
- 1 Mango Diced
- 1 Lime juiced
- 1/2 Red onion Diced
- 1 Handful cilantro chopped
- 6 Grain free tortillas of choice (i used Siete food, see above)
- 1 Avocado sliced
- Extra lime/cilantro to garnish (optional)
Prepare the Steak
- Salt and pepper the steak. Combine all the steak ingredients, except the oil, in a mixing bowl. Toss until steak is well coated. Let marinate in the fridge for at least 15 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a skillet. Once pan is hot add steak and sear 4-5 minutes on each side. Cut in center to check for desired doneness. Remove from pan or continue to cook until desired cook is reached. Let steak rest for 5 minutes before slicing into small strips.
- Combine all ingredients, set aside in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Heat your tortillas according to instructions. Layer steak, avocado and top with mango salsa. Top with any additional desired toppings and optional extra lime and cilantro. Serve and enjoy 🙂
Enjoyed Paleo Skirt Steak Tacos?
If you enjoyed this Paleo Skirt Steak Taco Recipe, please give it a share, like or comment below. Follow me on social media Pinterest, Instagram, and Facebook. Here are some other recipes you might enjoy.
- Veggie Loaded Taco Meat
- Taco Meat Stuffed Sweet Potato
- Paleo Steak Salad
- Whole 30/Paleo Stuffed Peppers