Paleo Lemon Artichoke Chicken
If you want an easy weeknight dinner, look no further than this Paleo Lemon Artichoke Chicken. It’s only a handful of ingredients, Paleo, Whole 30, and Low Carb friendly, and comes together in about 35 minutes. I know right now that a lot of ingredients can be hard to come by, especially with fewer trips to the grocery store. Besides chicken, all you need is a can of artichokes, some lemons and broth. So simple but packed with flavor!
How is everyone else holding up? It’s started hitting me that this lockdown in NY is going to last much longer than I had initially anticipated. I don’t know I can feel so mentally exhausted when I’m not doing anything. Every day is the same, the same routine, and yet somehow, I feel more exhausted than times when I was working 2 or 3 jobs at the same time. Funny how that happens, right? Who would have ever thought staying home and doing nothing could be so tiring? Other than that, there isn’t much to report. Taking a trip to the food store tomorrow and have some exciting new recipes in mind, so can’t wait to get those started for you guys next week 🙂
Okie Dokie Artichokey
I would argue the artichokes are the star of this dish. They are brought to life with the underlying tartness from the lemons. I left the sundried tomatoes as optional, but I really suggest that you add them if you can. There is something about artichokes that immediately makes me go I need to add sundried tomatoes to this dish! This dish reminds me so much of all the lovely Mediterranean flavors we had when in Italy last year. The scent of the lemons in Capri and Sicily is genuinely intoxicating. I have the travel bug bad bad lately, and since I can’t go anywhere or plan any trips, I feel grateful to have meals like this to transport me to different places. Just like my Mediterranean Pasta Salad, I take one bite of this, and instantly I am back on a sun-drenched beach in Italy. Who doesn’t love that?
Nerdy Health Stuff
Did you know that one lemon contains about 31mg of Vitamin C, which is about 51% of your daily recommended amount? Vitamin C is essential for cell metabolism and, of course, immune support. And I think we can all agree; a healthy immune system is more important now than ever. Vitamin C is also crucial in the formation of collagen, which plays a key role in healthy hair skin and nails. Some studies have shown that lemons have been known to play a role in weight loss and lowering blood pressure. Lemons have long been known to help our body detox, while Vitamin C plays a huge role in that it’s also mostly because of lemons antioxidant properties.
There are four significant health benefits of artichokes. They contain fiber, protein, prebiotics, and antioxidants. One artichoke heart contains 6G of fiber, which is almost a quarter of the daily recommended amount for a woman. An artichoke contains 4G of protein, which is a significant amount for a vegetable. Artichokes also contain a type of fiber called inulin. This is the premier prebiotic that has been studied in humans and animals. Probiotics are the good bacteria in our intestine. Prebiotics are the nutrients that feed them. Lastly, the USDA ranks artichokes as the number 1 vegetable in terms of antioxidants. Number one pretty impressive, even for a vegetable!
Tips, Recs, Subs
- The original recipe is for chicken thighs, but you can easily sub in drumsticks or even chicken breasts, you might need to adjust the cook times. Drumsticks and breasts typically cook for a little less time as long as the breast as thin.
- Artichokes – Any canned artichokes can be used. You can use the ones that are marinated in oil for even more flavor. Make sure you give them a good rough chop before adding.
- Sundried tomatoes are optional, but if you have them or can get them, I think they add a great flavor profile.
- Once you juice the lemons leave the rinds off to the side. You can do two things to enhance the lemon flavor, you can use a Microplane, and add some lemon zest. This is just adding little tiny shreds of the skin, that packs a serious punch of flavor. Or you can do like I did and add the whole lemon rind on top of the chicken when you bake it—really letting the lemon flavor seep into the dish and bake in.
You can have all the ingredients delivered to you directly from Whole Foods with FREE DELIVERY in 2 hours or less, through Amazon Prime. Use this link for a free 30-day trial. If you are low income and receive EBT or other government benefits, you may qualify for a reduced rate of $5.99/month.
What Is Paleo and What makes Dish Complaint?
For a brief summary, Paleo and Whole 30 are very similar. Both of these lifestyles focus on eating low inflammatory whole foods. It’s often called the Caveman Diet, because it’s about eating unprocessed foods. What is and isn’t allowed. You can eat all of the fish, unprocessed meats, fruits, vegetables, nuts, and seeds that you want. But you want to avoid dairy, sugars, alcohols, grains, gluten, and legumes. You can find out more info all about the paleo lifestyle with this Paleo 101 guide.
Save Paleo Lemon Artichoke Chicken to Pinterest for Later
Paleo Lemon Artichoke Chicken
- Dutch Oven or Cast Iron Skillet
- 1 Tablespoon Olive
- 1 Clove Garlic chopped finely
- 4-6 Chicken Thighs
- 1 Can Artichoke Hearts (drained and roughly chopped)
- 2 Lemons, juiced. (keep the flesh as well)
- 1/2 Cup Chicken Broth
- 1/4 Cup Sundried Tomatoes (Optional)
- Preheat oven to 350. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in skillet or dutch oven with garlic. Generously salt and pepper the chicken. Sear the chicken skin side down, for about 3-5 minutes, it should remove easily from pan to flip over. Then sear the other side for about 5 minutes.
- Add chopped artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes and the broth to skillet. At this point, you can zest lemon over the chicken, or add the lemeon rinds to skillet, but this optional. If using a dutch oven, cover, and transfer to the oven if using a cast iron, just add to the oven. baking for 25 minutes. Internal chicken temp should be 165.
Enjoyed Paleo Lemon Aritchoke Chicken?
If you enjoyed this Paleo Lemon Artichoke Chicken Recipe, please give it a share, like or comment below. Follow me on social media Pinterest, Instagram, and Facebook. Here are some other recipes you might enjoy.
- Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Whole 30 Chicken Piccata
- Paleo Honey Ginger Chicken
- Glazed Meatballs (Paleo/Whole 30)