Low Cal Fettuccine Alfredo
Fettuccine Alfredo has always been one of my favorite pasta dishes. However, every time I ate it, I’d feel so gross after, in comes this Low Cal Fettuccine Alfredo dish. Not only is it low calorie, but it’s a much lighter and healthier version of the meal. Some recipes call for as much as eight tablespoons of butter and a cup or more of heavy cream. No wonder it tasted delicious, but always ended up with me regretting it later.
Drop it … Drop it Low … Cal Alfredo
Firstly if I’m fully transparent, this Low Cal Fettuccine Alfredo dish is lower calories in comparison to the traditional recipe. It might not necessarily fit into everyone’s version of a “low-calorie dish.” Just how low calorie is it? A traditional Alfredo sauce? Olive gardens alfredo sauce will run you about 660 Calories, and Pregos is about 550. This one comes out to be about 220 Calories a cup. Also, a cup of alfredo sauce is ALOT, so if you want to save even more calories, you can always coat your pasta with less sauce. Keep in mind that 220 calories per cup is just the sauce, and excludes the pasta.
How did we cut out a third of the calories while still keeping it flavorful? Firstly, we cut the butter down big time, this recipe calls for only one tablespoon, other versions can call for eight or more. Then we swapped out the heavy cream for lower calorie skim milk and broth! The broth is a much greater bang for your buck compared to heavy cream when we talk about flavor vs. calorie ratio. Instead of traditional flour, we used arrowroot or tapioca starch to thicken it. The switch to arrowroot will keep the recipe gluten free.
Today is day 18 of NY’s lockdown, and it all feels like one big blur. The exciting news of the week is we went to the food store yesterday, which means lots of new recipes will be coming to the blog soon! Overall I am trying to remain positive, remember all the things we have to be grateful for, which right now is a lot. Hoping that everyone else stays in as much as possible, so we can all be together in person soon 🙂
Tips, Recs & Subs
- Pasta – I used gluten free fettuccine, but you can sub in any pasta or want.
- Broth – This one of the main ways we keep the flavor without the calories from the heavy cream. If you want a homemade recipe, check out my insanely easy instapot bone broth, or you can sub store brought or stock.
- Milk – I used 1% milk, but 2% or whole will also work, it just might be slightly more calories.
- Arrowroot/Tapioca Starch – If you are new to gluten free cooking, these two are an absolute must! They are amazing at thickening up sauces, stews, gravies, etc. However, you absolutely MUST remember to dissolve in a few tablespoons of water first. It will ruin your recipe if you don’t.
- Toppings – This recipe would great with some chicken or shrimp added to it. I always toss extra Parmesan on top too!
Low Calorie Fettuccine Alfredo
- skillet or medium pot
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 1 Clove garlic finely chopped
- 3 Tablespoons Tapioca Flour or Arrowroot powder Dissolved in a few tablespoons of water** VERY IMPORTANT THAT IT IS DISSOLVED IN WATER FIRST
- 1 Cup 1% Milk
- 1 Cup Bone Broth or Stock
- 1 Cup High quality shaved or shredded parmesan cheese
- Fresh Parsley as garnish (Optional)
- 1 Package 9-12 oz fettuccine
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Melt butter on medium heat in a skillet, add garlic cook for 1-2 minutes, until garlic has slightly browned.
- Stir in broth and milk, whisking occasionally for about 2 minutes. Add tapioca starch that has been dissolved in water first. (It is very important that is dissolved first).Continue to cook for another 5 minutes, whisking every so often so it doesn't burn.
- Once the sauce is thick enough that it will coat the back of your spoon, turn the heat off. Add parmesan and stir until completely melted. Add pasta and serve. Top with fresh parsley and additional parmesan.