Keto Eggplant French Toast
You are definitely going to be pleasantly surprised how much this Keto Eggplant French Toast actually resembles french toast. I know it’s crazy you would never think eggplant = bread, but somehow it works. The key is salting the eggplant for at least 30 minutes to remove that bitterness from it. This recipe is also Paleo friendly! I gave a list of optional toppings for Keto Vs. Paleo, but the recipe is the same for both.
If you’re not sure about the details about Paleo vs. Keto, you can check out my article here, “What is Paleo?” But I’ll give you a quick rundown here. Keto focuses on replacing carbohydrates in your diet and replacing instead with fats. Doing this will put your body in a state of ketosis, which helps burn fat. As long as you stay under your carbohydrate limit, you can eat anything that you want. Paleo, on the other hand, removes entire food groups, instead focuses on whole, unprocessed, anti-inflammatory foods. You can eat as much as you want of whatever is in the allowed in the food categories. So they are different, but because you are avoiding refined sugars, processed carbohydrates, and grains on both, a lot of recipes end up overlapping, just like this delicious Keto Eggplant French Toast.
Memorial Day Weekend! Whoo-hoo! I hope you guys have better plans than we do. NYC is still pretty locked down here, so we’re lying low, going food shopping, and getting ready for a trip down my parents next week. I am so excited to be able to sit in a backyard! We have barely had any time outdoors for the past ten weeks. It’s been crazy, so heading out to the rural suburbs of NC will be a very much need reprieve. If you have any book recs, please let me know below. I am open to anything, but would prefer an inspiring self-help/self-empowerment book!
Veggies For Breakfast? Yes Please!
If you guys follow me, you know that I absolutely love sneaking fruits and veggies into EVERYTHING! The more fruits and vegetables I eat, the better I feel, physically and mentally too. If you need other recipes loaded with veggies, check out Veggie Loaded Taco Meat, Flourless Zucchini Brownies, Sweet Potato Stuffed with Buffalo Chicken, and Eat the Rainbow Salad. But this recipe is one of my favorites because it’s veggies for breakfast! What better way to start the day than with veggies? The other great thing about this recipe is the veggies aren’t hidden. They are the star and main component of this dish!
I know what you’re thinking, can eggplant taste like french toast and the answering is surprisingly yes! Obviously, it’s not going to 100% the same thing, but it’s pretty close, especially when you add the toppings. You’ll feel like you are enjoying one of your breakfast foods with this recipe. You need to make sure that you salt the eggplant for 30 minutes first. This is key to removing the bitterness that eggplant often has! Not doing this will most likely ruin the dish.
Nerdy Health Stuff
Eggplants have a variety of health benefits. For starters, they are a great source of vitamin C, vitamin K, vitamin B6, thiamine, niacin, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, copper, fiber, folic acid, potassium(1). In my Eat The Rainbow Salad post, I explained the health benefits of different colored fruits and vegetables. Purple fruits contain compounds that are linked to reducing osteoporosis, stronger bones, and even increased bone density. Additionally, the iron and calcium found in eggplants are crucial in improving and preserving overall bone health.
Most fruits and vegetables are naturally good sources of fiber, and eggplant is no different. One eggplant serving has 2.5G of fiber, which is at least 5% of a person’s daily requirement(2). 5% might not seem like a lot, but did you know 95% of Americans don’t meet the minimum requirements for daily fiber intake (3). Even worse than that, on average, Americans don’t meet 50% of the minimum daily requirement (4). Fiber is crucial in overall health, it is linked to decreased obesity, decreased rates of diabetes, improved heart health, and improved digestive health. Fiber keeps you full, can help regulate your blood sugar and insulin levels. All of these things can do wonders for your overall health and overall mood. So try and add fruits and vegetables to your diet whenever you can, even if it’s a Keto Eggplant French Toast for breakfast.
Tips, Recs, Subs
- First, make sure salt the eggplant and let it rest for 30 minutes. Not doing this could ruin the dish.
- The Vanilla extract is optional but highly recommended. If you want to make your own at home, use my 30 Minute Vanilla Extract recipe.
- You can use cinnamon spice, or apple pie, or even pumpkin pie spice for this! It adds a little more than just the cinnamon.
- Dip all the rounds of eggplant once, let sit then dip again. This will help it taste it even more like french toast.
- Keto toppings include – Whipped cream, Keto Maple syrup, butter or ghee, berries, extra cinnamon or spice.
- Paleo Toppings include – Non dairy yogurt, pure maple syrup, ghee, berries extra cinnamon or spice.
Get the Ingredients
You can have all the ingredients delivered to you directly from Whole Foods with FREE DELIVERY in 2 hours or less, through Amazon Prime. Make sure you use this link for a free 30-day trial. If you are low income and receive EBT or other government benefits, you may qualify for a reduced rate of $5.99/month
Save Keto Eggplant French Toast to Pinterest for Later
Keto Eggplant French Toast
- Non stick skillet, griddle or cast iron pan
- 1 medium Eggplant cut into 2" rounds
- 2 Tablespoon Butter or Ghee for Paleo (may need additional for topping)
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla (optional)
- 1 Tablespoon Cinnamon or apple pie spice
- 2 Eggs
- Optional toppings – For Keto -Whipped cream, Keto maple syrup, Butter – For Paleo – Almond milk yogurt, coconut whipped cream, pure maple syrup. For both – Berries, Ghee
- Cut the eggplant into roughly 2" thick round circles. Set aside and generously salt both sides of each round. Let sit for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat half the butter in the skillet on med-high heat. Whisk egg, vanilla and cinnamon or apple pie spice in bowl. Take each eggplant around and coat with the egg mixture. Set aside. Repeat this process.
- Place the eggplants rounds into the skillet. May need to do this in two batches so pan does not become overcrowded. Let each round cook for 2-3 minutes per side, and flip over. Cook for another 2-3 minutes per side. Egg mixture should not longer be wet. Serve with preferred Keto or Paleo toppings and Enjoy 🙂
Enjoyed Keto Eggplant French Toast?
If you enjoyed this Keto Eggplant French Toast recipe, please give it a share, like or comment below. Follow me on social media Pinterest, Instagram, and Facebook. Because you liked this recipe, here are some others I think you’ll enjoy.
- Keto Breakfast Egg Cups
- Overnight Chia Pudding
- Flourless Paleo Zucchini Brownies
- Almond Butter Fat Bombs (Paleo/Keto)