Share or Save For Later
Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli
If you love Chinese take out, but hate how you feel after, then this Instant pot Paleo Beef & Broccoli recipe is going to make you, oh so happy 🙂 All the flavors you love from Chinese takeout without all nasties! All made in 30 minutes?! Yup!! Delivery probably takes more time. Although here in NYC, sometimes they are so speedy, it is mind-blowingly impressive. Once we ordered off seamless and got our meal delivered to our 4th floor walkup in 11 minutes!! I mean, is that not insane ?! Sometimes I feel like it takes me 11 minutes to make it up the four flights of stairs! But that is the exception, not the rule. Plus, this recipe is loaded with so much good stuff, even it takes the same amount of time, you’ll be feeling way better than if you had ordered takeout.
Instant Pot To The Rescue
While it is a game-changer in the kitchen, was anyone else besides me terrified of their instant pot when they first got it? At first, it seems there are so many buttons and options, it was like a space ship. Don’t even get my started on trying to how terrified I was to do a quick release of the steam for the first time.
The great thing about the instant pot is that everything is done in the one pot, we are able to saute the beef by turning the pot on saute mode, then we cook the beef in the sauce in only 10 minutes, by using it pressure cooking mode, then we turn it back into satue mode to thicken the sauce and add the brocccoli. You can even use the instant pot to steam your broccoli ahead of time.
What Makes This Dish Keto, Paleo and Whole 30 Friendly?
I usually take a minute to explain what makes each recipe on this site fall into the dietary categories to help you guys better understand a little bit about each diet and help each meal meet your specific needs. Paleo and Whole 30 are diets that focus on eating real, unprocessed ingredients. You avoid gluten, dairy, legumes and grains, Soy, and anything overly processed or not made from natural ingredients, which tends to be inflammatory. So we swap out Soy Sauce for Coconut Aminos, which is a gluten-free soy-free soy sauce alternative. Then we use arrowroot starch for a gluten and flour free way to thicken the sauce. While this is low carb, it is most likely too many carbs to be considered keto. We use bone broth, fresh ginger, garlic, and chili pepper flakes to add natural flavor, skipping all the additives and nasties of traditional takeout.
What Ingredients Do You Need?
- Beef Strips (Stir Fry strips work great)
- Broccoli (Frozen or Fresh Steamed)
- Olive Oil
- Bone Broth
- Ground Ginger (or fresh)
- Coconut Aminos
- Red Chili Pepper Flakes
- Sesame Oil
- Apple Cider Vinegar or Rice Vinegar
- Arrowroot flour or tapioca starch
How To Make It
- Saute the Beef
- Mix ingredients together for the sauce, add the sauce to instant pot.
- Pressure cook for 10 minutes, let it naturally release for another 10 minutes.
- Add the arrowroot to the sauce, to thicken it. Add the broccoli.
- Serve over cauliflower rice (or regular rice if not Paleo/Whole 30)
That Simple!!! (FULL RECIPE BELOW)
Helpful Equipment and Ingredients (Directly From Amazon)
What Are Some Good Sides?
I always include sides to serve with my main dish, however this dish is kind of like a meal and side in one. However Dave and I do a very simple side salad every night and that was perfect.
- A simple side salad. Almost every night with dinner we have a very simple of spring mix, salt pepper and a dressing of apple cider vinegar and olive oil. Simple, easy, low calories and helps keep you full.
- Cauliflower Rice (Fresh or frozen)
- Regular Rice (if not Whole 30, Paleo or Low Carb)
Want Simple Healthy Recipes Sent Directly To You?
Watch Me Make It
Tips, Recs, Subs
In case you are new to Whole 30 or Paleo here are some ingredients that are often used for these types of recipes but can be new to a lot of people or sometimes a little tricky.
- Beef Broth – What’s the difference between broth and stock? If you are the supermarket and pick up a can of stock it probably has little to no protein in it. That protein and amino acid is where all the fantastic benefits health benefits of bone broth are. So you want to make sure you are using a high-quality good broth for all your Paleo and Whole 30 recipes. My go-to is bare bones. They are keto & paleo-friendly, and have over 10G of protein per serving. Or easily make your own with this Instant Pot Bone Broth Recipe.
- Coconut Aminos – This is a gluten-free and soy-free soy sauce alternative. Use the same way you would as regular soy sauce, feel free to swap in a 1:1 ratio to any recipe that uses soy sauce.
- Arrowroot flour – This is a grain-free flour, making it paleo and whole 30 compliant. It works great for thickening sauces. You need to make sure you dissolve in a little water first before you add to sauce otherwise, it will be clumpy and gross. Also, be sure to add to the very end of the cooking process, you don’t want it exposed to high heat for too long. I’m a big fan Bobs Red Mill.
- You can swap olive oil for avocado oil
- If you want to use your instant pot to steam your broccoli just do it before you start everything else
- Add more ore less chili pepper flakes depending on your desired spice level
- You can use apple cider vinegar if strict Whole 30/Paleo instead of rice vinegar.
- Make sure you naturally release for at least 10 minutes to make sure the meat stays tender.
Save Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli to Pinterest for Later
Other Instant Pot Recipes You'll Enjoy
Instant Pot Paleo Beef & Broccoli
- 2 Tablespoons Avocado Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Minced Garlic
- 1.5 lb lank steak sliced or stir fry beef Use grassfed for paleo/whole 30
- 2 Bags Frozen Broccoli I like the like green giant steam in bag, or you can use fresh broccoli as well
- 1 Cup Beef Broth
- 1/4 Cup Coconut Aminos gluten/soy free soy sauce alternative
- 1 Tablespoon Rice Vinegar Can omit if strict paleo
- 1/2 Tablespoon Ground Ginger
- 1/2 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes Omit if you want to spicy
- 1 Tablespoon Sesame Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Arrowroot flour Dissolved in 1 tablespoon water
- Sesame Seeds/Green Onion for Garnish
- Turn instapot on "saute" mode, add the avocado oil and 1 tablespoon of the minced garlic. Once it is sizzling, add beef, and sear about 1 minute on each side. You might need to do this in batches to ensure instapot does not overcrowd. Once beef is cooked transfer to a plate and set aside. Repeat these steps if working with more than one batch of beef.
- In a small bowl whisk together beef broth, coconut aminos, sesame oil, rice vinegar, ginger, red pepper flakes, and remaining garlic. Pour mixture into instant pot, add beef and all reaming juices from plate. Cover instant pot, make sure the vent is set to sealing mode, and turn on manual mode for 10 minutes time. Make sure you naturally release for at least 10 minutes before you quick release to keep the meat tender.
- While beef is cooking, add broccoli to microwave and cook according to instructions. Whisk together arrowroot flour with 1-2 tablespoons water making sure it is dissolved.
- When beef is done, switch back to saute mode (make sure cover is off for this), add arrowroot mixture, stir well. Let cook for another minute or two until sauce has started to thicken.
- Remove beef from mixture, add to bowl with broccoli, pour additional sauce on top. Top with garnishes. Enjoy. Don't forget to comment below if you tried this recipe 🙂
Hungry For More?
Share or Save for Later.
Subscribe For Recipes and More
Let’s Connect 🙂