Healing Turmeric Ginger Tonic
This healing turmeric ginger tonic is the perfect immunity boost you need for cold and flu season. I am addicted, and I mean addicted to the Trader Joes Turmeric shots and Ginger shots. I swear they helped keep me from getting the cold that every other person in my office got this year! However, at $2 a pop for each one, 2x a day, it adds up to an $8 addiction. Plus, Dave is always stealing mine, so I have to get extra. It’s simply not a sustainable addiction, so I needed to find a way to make them on my own, and here we are.
What exactly is a tonic? A tonic is a medicinal substance taken to give a sense of vigor or well-being. I kid you not, a glass of this gives me a feeling of well-being. Turmeric is becoming more and more popular for its anti-inflammatory properties, and ginger has a whole host of health benefits as well. Lemons are one of the best foods to help us naturally detox. Combined, they make one fantastic tonic!
It can be served hot right off the stove, rewarmed later on, or sipped cold with ice. I find it to be quite a refreshing beverage cold. If you want it a little sweeter, you can add some coconut water to it. The coconut water will also give a nice boost of electrolytes 🙂
- Turmeric – Turmerics active ingredient is Curcumin. Curcumin is a known natural anti-inflammatory and antioxidant. While more research needs to be done on turmeric, it’s active ingredient has been long proven as an anti-inflammatory. It has also been proven that reducing inflammation and free radicals in the body can reduce the risk of heart attack, chronic pain, depression, arthritis diabetes, the list goes on and on. This article, from everyday health, goes into a more in-depth discussion of all the health benefits.
- Ginger – There have been lots and lots of studies published on the health benefits of ginger. It has long been used for its positive effect against nausea and digestive relief. But new studies have shown that ginger taken over several days can help reduce muscle soreness post workouts—more on that from Healthline.
- Lemon – There is a reason lemons are the main ingredient in all sorts of detoxes. We all remember (but wish we could forget) the Beyonce “Lemon Cayenne Maple Syrup” cleanse right?! Well, the reason lemons are highly regarded as a detox staple is their vitamin C content (almost as much as an orange) and all the antioxidants they contain. These two things give your immune system a little super boost!
- Black Pepper – Black pepper helps the bioavailability of turmeric. It’s one thing to put something in your body, but how we absorb it is a whole other. Bioavailability helps your body use it, so you don’t just pee it all out. Some studies show that pepper can increase this up to 2000% with turmeric.
- Maple Syrup – This is simply for sweetening purposes. I honestly don’t even think it needs it, but if you want it sweeter add more, if you are like me and can drink it straight, leave it out.
Healing Turmeric Ginger Tonic
- 1 tablespoon Turmeric Fresh ground is best
- 1 tablespoon Ginger Fresh ground is best
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 lemon Juiced, save remaining rind
- 3 cups filtered water
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup optional depending on desired level of sweetness
- In a small saucepan on the stove, combine turmeric, ginger, pepper, juice of lemon, maple syrup and water. Stir together. Add remaining lemon rind.
- Heat on medium heat for about 5 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
- Strain and serve. Can be served hot, reheated later on or enjoyed cold over ice after being kept in the fridge.