Gluten Free Banana Donuts
This recipe is a healthy(er) version of a traditional donut. Fresh bananas add fiber and essential vitamins and minerals, I swapped out regular flour for one cup of gluten-free flour and a cup of almond flour for a little protein and some added health benefits. Coconut oil takes over the role of traditional butter. Granulated sugar is replaced by coconut sugar, which is much lower on the Glycemic Index. This recipe is also dairy-free because I swapped Almond milk for traditional milk. These Gluten-Free Banana Donuts were easy to cook by simply baking in the oven, using a silicone donut mold, for under $10, through that link.
Here in NYC, we are hunkering down to keep ourselves and our fellow community safe. It’s not easy being forced to stay inside, especially as spring starts to peek it’s head out. Nonetheless, here we are. To maintain my sanity, I’ve been baking up a storm. When I was decorating these donuts, I saw rainbow sprinkles in the cabinet, but a tiny amount, probably not even enough for one donut. “What the hell,” I thought, why not try and at least make one donut fun! When I saw this picture, I thought it was a great little lesson to all of us, that in hard times, when you feel you don’t have enough, give it your all anyway. The tiny amount of sprinkle crumbs looked like hardly anything, but yet it brightens up this entire photo. Let it be a reminder to all of us in times of darkness to be the joy and light for others. A few sprinkles can make all the difference 🙂
Tips & Recs
- For this recipe, I baked these donuts using a simple Silicone Donut mold, available for under $10. Or if you have a donut maker, you can use that as well. You might need to adjust the cook time.
- If you are not gluten-free, you can use regular flour, if you are not dairy-free and only have regular milk in the house; you can also use that.
- The toppings – Originally, I wanted to make these into a chunky monkey type donut with chocolate drizzle, walnuts, and coconut. But I had no nuts, so I improvised. I simply dipped in chocolate and topped with coconut, or rainbow sprinkles. But feel free to get creative with your toppings! Let me know below what combination you try!
Gluten Free Banana Donuts
- Silicone Donut Mold
- 1 Egg – See vegan substitute in notes Can sub Vegan Flax Egg (2 tablespoons flaxseed and 2 tablespoons water mixed together and left in the fridge for 15 minutes)
- 2 Ripe bananas
- 2 Tablespoons Coconut Oil
- 1/3 Cup Almond Milk
- 1 Cup Gluten Free Flour I use Bobs Red Mill 1:1 ratio GF Flour
- 1 Cup Almond Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- dash salt
- 1 Cup Coconut Sugar
- Melted chocolate, coconut, rainbow sprinkles to top Optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Or if you making these in a donut maker plug it in, to it heat up.
- In a large bowl whisk together all dry ingredients. In a separate bowl combine all wet ingredients. (I used my kitchen aid mixer, on low-med speed for 1-2 minutes).
- Combine wet and dry ingredients, mix well.
- Spray donut pan with coconut oil, and add batter to each donut mold. Place in oven. Bake for 25-30 Minutes. When done you should be able to put a toothpick or knife into the mold and have it come out clean, with no wet batter.
- Remove from oven, allow to cool and top with desired toppings.