Easy Instant Pot Vanilla Extract
If you love to bake then, this Easy Instantpot Vanilla Extract is precisely what you need. If you’re like me, you’ve seen vanilla extract prices and thought no way am I going to buy this. I can probably get away with the imitation stuff. Or forgo it altogether. I’ve been there. Then someone suggested I make my own. All I do is take a little vanilla bean and vodka, leave it in the back of my pantry for 6 months!!! Ya ok, who the eff has time to be waiting around six months for an ingredient?! Then after some research, I learned you could make it in the Instant Pot in 30 minutes! Now that my friends sounds doable, and totally is!
Where Have you Vanilla Bean All My Life?!
It’s not often that I cop to mistakes. Just ask my parents, brother, or fiance. Stubbornness is probably one of my strongest qualities, and when it comes to admitting I’m wrong, I’m the most stubborn. But, I’ll totally admit I was wrong about Vanilla. I don’t know how I went so long, just omitting it from desserts. It really makes such a difference when baking. Especially the good stuff, not that imitation crap I used growing up! Admitting you are wrong is the first step, and now that I know just who wrong I was, I will never bake without Vanilla extract again.
Want some healthy recipes to use your new homemade vanilla extract in? Try my Instant Pot Dairy Free Rice Pudding, Flourless Zucchini Brownies, PB Banana Nice Cream, Paleo Homemade Twix Bars or, Dairy and Gluten Free Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins.
What Ingredients Do You Need?
- Vanilla Beans
I know right?! SO Fricken Easy
How To Make It
- Slice the beans open, add them with the vodka in a mason jar. Seal the jar. Add to the Instant Pot with Water
- Cook for 30 minutes. Store in your cabinet and give a good shake a few times a week for the first few weeks.
Helpful Equipment and Ingredients (Directly From Amazon)
- Is making homemade Vanilla cheaper?
It is significantly cheaper than store-bought. The average cost of 8oz of pure vanilla extract is $20, and gets more expensive for the good stuff.
- Why is Vanilla so expensive in 2020?
Vanilla is the second most expensive spice in the world, behind saffron. About 80% of the world’s Vanilla grows on Madasgar, which his recently been hit by floods. This has caused the price to increase $600/Kg or about 10x what it was a few years ago.
- What is the best alcohol to use?
Typically vodka is used, but you can also use bourbon or rum to give it a slightly different flavor profile—no need for the expensive stuff. As long as the alcohol is 40% or 80 Proof, it’s good to use for the recipe.
- How many beans do I need, and can I reuse them?
2-3 Beans is a good amount. You can always add another one for a more robust bolder flavor. You can reuse the beans for a second batch but should at least one new bean to get the desired flavor. Once the beans have been soaked in alcohol, they are perfect for other dishes, add some to my Instant Pot Rice Pudding, or bake with them. You can even add them to your coffee grinds so the coffee can get a little vanilla flavoring.
- Which do the different Vanilla bean grades mean?
There are two main types of beans, Grade A and B, based on their moisture content. Grade A beans should be used for cooking, and while they can be used for extract, it is preferred to use Grade B for extract. Typically extracts use Madagascar Grade B beans. This type of bean will produce you’re most familiar with. All you ever wanted to know about Vanilla Beans is right here.
- What are the different kinds of beans?
- Bourbon-Madagascar beans are rich, sweet, and the thinnest of the three beans.
- Mexican vanilla beans have a smooth, rich flavor.
- Tahitian vanilla beans are the thickest and darkest, and although very aromatic, they are not as flavorful as the other two types.
- How do I store vanilla extract?
You want to store it in a cool dark place. But not in the fridge. The back of the pantry closet is best. The first few weeks give it a shake every so often. This will really help improve the flavor. The flavor will continue to develop the longer you leave it.
If you are Enjoy this Recipe Subscribe for more!
Tips, Recs, Subs
- The first few weeks give the jar a good shake to make sure that you get a good flavor.
- Make sure your mason jars are sealed tightly.
- The glass jars will be hot so use tons to remove them from the instant pot.
- Play around with different flavors from other alcohols like bourbon or rum.
- These make perfect gifts! Simply transfer to smaller jars add a gift tag and gift to neighbors and friends for all their holiday baking.
- See above for FAQ’s
Save Easy Instant Pot Vanilla Extract To Pinterest For later
Recipes to Use Vanilla Extract In
Easy Instantpot Vanilla Extract
- Canning Mason Jar
- 3-5 Vanilla Beans (See above for which type)
- 2 Cups High quality Vodka (Or other alcohol, see above for info)
- Slice the beans in half length wise so vanilla is exposed, don't cut completely in half, leave half an inch at the top so bean stays together. Add to mason jar, pour in vodka. Seal the mason jar well.
- Add 1 Cup of water to instantpot, and trivet. Place sealed mason jar on top of trivet. Close lid, make sure instantpot is set to sealing mode. Cook on Manual High pressure for 35 minutes. Let steam naturally release for at least 10 minutes, before opening the valve to venting to release any additional pressure.
- Store in a cool and dry and dark place. Back of the pantry cabinet works best. The longer it stays the stronger the vanilla flavor will become. I suggest letting set overnight before using it.
Hungry For More?
Share or Save for Later.
Subscribe For Recipes and More
Let’s Connect 🙂