Easiest Dairy Free Rice Pudding Recipe
Rice pudding was a favorite dessert of mine growing up. But lately, every time I eat dairy, my face breaks out with acne. #Adultingsucks…Am I right? So I wanted to recreate this classic recipe but keep it not only gluten-free, but dairy-free. I also swapped out traditional sugar for a little maple syrup, so bonus, this recipe is also refined sugar-free! Who doesn’t love a yummy filling dessert that is packed with real simple ingredients and made in under 20 minutes? I call that a win!
Instant Pot to the Rescue
Traditional rice pudding can be a pain in the ass to cook. My mom worked in restaurants growing up, and I would go in and help out sometimes. Once they were making a HUGE amount of rice pudding, I mean a massive amount for a catering event for hundreds of people. And they told me to stand there and stir it, so I did, but then got distracted, and before I knew it, 15 lbs of rice pudding was burned and had to be tossed out. What a waste! That’s what’s so great about this instant pot recipe. No standing over the stove, stirring to make sure it doesn’t burn. No hours of cooking. Just 10 minutes and your done!
If you have an instant pot and are looking for some other great recipes, try my Instant Pot Applesauce. If you want to use your PI for savory dinner recipes check out my Beef and Broccoli and Lemon Garlic Chicken Thighs
What Makes This Gluten Free, Dairy Free and Vegan?
I usually take a minute to explain what makes each recipe on this site fall into the dietary categories so my readers a better idea of what each diet is about. Just in case you didn’t know, ALL the recipes on this site are Gluten Free since my fiance has a gluten allergy. Gluten is a protein found in wheat, barley and rye. All rice is naturally gluten-free in its simplest state. However, be careful when it is prepared because other things like soy sauce might be added, making it no longer gluten-free. This tripped me up twice with Trader Joes Frozen Chicken Fried Rice and a package of Uncle Bens Rice mixes. So you ALWAYS want to make sure you check ingredients. A lot of processed rice dishes will add wheat flour for some odd reason.
Vegan is a diet that consumes no animal or animal by-products. This is different than vegetarian because vegans won’t eat things like eggs, cheese, or even honey, which would all be ok on a vegetarian diet. This recipe swaps out regular milk for coconut milk and has no eggs in it, like many traditional rice puddings do. There is the option to swap out the maple syrup for honey, but this will mean it is no longer vegan.
What Ingredients Do You Need?
- Rice (Jasmine or Basmati work best)
- 2 Cans of Coconut Milk (split up 1 and 1/2 before cooking and 1/2 can after)
- Maple syrup
- Cinnamon stick (optional)
- Vanilla Extract (try my easy 30 minute homemade vanilla extract)
How To Make It
- Soak your rice for minutes
- Add all the ingredients (except for 1/2 can of coconut milk) to the instant pot, stir.
- Cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the last 1/2 can of coconut milk.
Yup ….That Simple!!!
Helpful Equipment and Ingredients (Directly From Amazon)
What Are Some Good Additions?
- Add some extra cinnamon, nutmeg or even apple pie spice blend
- Top with Dairy Free Whipped Cream. I used Dairy Free Almond Milk Whipped cream from Reddi Whip Also available in coconut
- Add some raisins or chocolate chips to fold in when it’s cold.
If you are Enjoy this Recipe Subscribe for more!
Tips, Recs, Subs
- Soak your rice for 5 minutes before then rinse thoroughly before adding to the instant pot.
- Cinnamon stick is optional, but I think it really adds to the dish. You can use regular cinnamon, or even an apple pie spice blend.
- Raisins or dairy-free chocolate chips at stirred in when cold also make an excellent addition.
- This dish is traditionally served cold but can also be eaten hot.
- Save 1/2 a can of coconut milk at room temperature to add in when the dish is done cooking.
- Top with a dairy-free whipped topping.
- Try making your own vanilla extract with my 30 Minute Instant Pot Vanilla.
- Maple syrup can be replaced with honey, but then the dish will no longer be vegan.
- Make sure you let the Instant Pot sit for 10 minutes when it’s done to naturally release the pressure before switching to “venting,” quick release.
- This dish is refined sugar-free and not very sweet. If you want more sweetness like a traditional rice pudding, add more maple syrup.
Other Gluten Free & Dairy Free Desserts You'll Enjoy
Dairy Free Rice Pudding
- Instant Pot
- 1 Cup Rice (Jasmine or basmati soaked for 5 minutes)
- 1 Cup Water
- 2 Cans Full fat coconut milk (Seperated 1 1/2 and 1/2 of a can for later)
- 1/4 Cup Maple Syrup (more if you prefer it to be sweeter)
- Pinch Sea Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cinnamon stick (optional)
- Soak the rice for 5 minutes, rinse well and drain.
- Add rice to the instant pot with water, 1 and 1/2 cans of coconut milk (keep remaining 1/2 can at room temperature to the side), salt, vanilla extract, cinnamon, cinnamon stick, maple syrup. Stir well.
- Make sure lid is set to "sealing" mode, set to pressure cook or manual on high pressure for 10 minutes. After it's done, naturally let steam release for 10 minutes. Then switch top nozzle to "venting" mode, to release any additional steam.
- Stir in remaining 1/2 can of coconut milk, remove cinnamon stick. Transfer to the fridge and let cool or enjoy warm.
- Try my Easy Instant Pot Vanilla Extract to make your own vanilla in 30 minutes
- Cinnamon stick is optional but highly recommended.
- Once it's cool I like to fold in chocolate chips or raisins
- Add a dairy free whipped topping to enjoy.
Hungry For More?
Share or Save for Later.
Subscribe For Recipes and More
Let’s Connect 🙂